Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Assassin's Blade / Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Read "The Assassin's Blade" first.

I'd started reading "Throne of Glass" because it was the first book published. But I quickly realized that I was missing a lot of information. So I did a quick Google search to see what "The Assassin's Blade" was about. I knew it was supposed to be a series of prequel novellas, but didn't want to read it if it didn't tie into Throne of Glass at all. Luckily I found out that Throne of Glass starts where The Assassin's Blade ends, so happily started reading that instead... However, I had just read the first chapter of Throne of Glass and knew something bad happens for Throne of Glass to begin, so kind of read through Assassins' Blade with a lot of dread.

Maas reveals some of the background info in Throne of Glass, but seems to assume that you would know things about Celaena's past.

But yes, read The Assassin's Blade first.

The Throne of Glass series follows the story of Celaena Sardothien and her quest to survive. She was found as an orphan by the lead assassin in the country when she was 8 and was then trained to be his heir. Her training is brutal, but he treated her as well as he could. At first, I was a little annoyed by her because she was always like "I'm the best" and "I'm beautiful". But you later realize that she's just repeating what people have always said to her. Not that it's untrue, but for her, her skills and her beauty are just tools for her to survive the world that she ends up in.

In Throne of Glass, the story goes as summarized in the book jacket. She is pulled into a competition to be the King's Champion (aka, personal assassin), and enters into a bit of a love triangle with the Crown Prince (Dorian)  and the Captain of the Royal Guard (Chaol). I'm totally shipping Celaena and Chaol. Dorian is like the pretty boy you always crush on because he's gorgeous and knows how to talk to girls, but you ultimately know that it's too good to be true (no matter what he thinks at the time). Whereas Chaol is sturdy and takes care of you, and is still gorgeous AF. And gets you. Anyways, I'm not sure Celaena can handle another relationship yet after Assassin's Blade. Throne of Glass is a year and a couple months after Assassin Blade, so... she's still a bit scarred.

And if you ask, "Why are you reading a Young Adult novel? There's no sex in it" - I will reply "EXACTLY". The novels I've been reading have been a bit too focused on that lately and there's been very little character development. Also, I've been annoyed at how short the good books have been (I look at you Ilona Andrews - averaging 250 pages). Maas's books are around 350 pages so far. Harry Potter and Tamora Pierce's book are even longer. I've missed having a full proper plot. Although I haven't missed the mass of characters that are a symptom of fantasy epics - I don't think I could read Robert Jordan again or even attempt George RR Martin just yet.

No comments :

Post a Comment